Is your tap water cloudy?

Cloudy Tap Water
Cloudy Tap Water
Is this what your tap water looks like?

Sucks doesn't it!?

Well the good news is there is a solution, and it doesn't involve you having to go to the shops to buy countless supplies of bottled water! (Yes, I've been there...)

Cloudy tap water can be caused by a few different things:

. The difference in pressure between the water in the pipes and the water in the glass - the high water pressure in the pipes creates this cloudy water effect. Water under pressure holds a lot of air.

. Air bubbles in the water - once these bubbles have rised to the surface of the water they escape and the cloudiness goes away.

. The temperature outside - the colder it is the more likely you will have cloudy water, this is because cold water holds more air than warm water, and more air equals more of those bubbles.

The good news is that cloudy tap water is completely harmless. You can simply let your water sit for a few minutes after being poured and the cloudy effect should go away. If the water still remains cloudy/milky after a few minutes then it's best to pour it down the sink and attempt another go, this time pouring slightly slower and at an angle so the air has more of a chance to escape from the water. Still the same even after another attempt? Then it's possible your tap water has been contaminated along the path of your water pipes. This is usually caused by the likes of rocks, stones, sand and dirt.

When does all of this become a problem?

Well, if you're like me, the cloudiness of the water alone wasn't all that big of a deal. The problem for me was the actual taste and texture of the water. It tasted gritty, as if there was some sort of substance in it that hadn't properly dissolved, kind of like the feeling when you take a paracetamol and it begins to dissolve in your mouth before you get a chance to swallow.

It really did get to me, especially when I was trying to up my daily water intake. 

I even started to boil tap water in my kettle, let it cool and then used it for drinking. It tasted much purer and clean. Even though I knew there was no real harm in drinking the cloudy tap water from my sinks, I still didn't like to do it thanks to the difference in taste and texture. Maybe I've been ruined thanks to drinking so much bottled water in the past.

The best decision I made to overcome this problem was to buy a Brita Water Filter. You simply fill it up, let it sit and the water filters through the replaceable cartridges inside. Voila! Clean, pure and cloudy free tap water - tastes just as good as bottled water and works out a hell of a lot cheaper in the long run too. 

I got my filter in a sale at my local Dunelm Mill store, but you can pick one up from Amazon for cheap enough these days. It's definitely something I would recommend if you're looking to improve the taste, texture and quality of your own tap water at home.

No more cloudy/milky tap water for me.

#NoMoreCloudyWater
#NeverBuyingBottledAgain

Comments